Chalk paint is a kind of paint which is commonly used to achieve a chalky appearance on furniture or other items. It is a long-lasting, easy to use painting solution for your furniture. But to get started with chalk paint, one must know "How to chalk paint furniture". Here we are to discuss it. The following segment consists of the ingredients we need to chalk paint the furniture and step by step procedure of the chalk paint furniture process.
Ingredients for Furniture Chalk Paint
To begin painting your furniture using chalk paint you will first need to have the ingredients that have been listed below.
- Chalk paint, which is something you need to buy according to the color of your furniture. You will find a proper range of color to choose and purchase from the brand Annie Sloan. This brand has been a popular choice of customers in the market.
- Can of wax and a wax brush.
- Some sandpaper.
- Simple chip brush.
- Some shop towels or any other cloth or towel that is lint-free.
- A piece of aluminum foil. This will be needed by you to wrap the bristles of your brush so that the paint does not dry out.
Steps of Furniture Chalk Paint
After getting yourself all the ingredients that have been listed above, follow the steps listed below in detail. You will surely give your furniture the ultimate finish it requires.
- STEP 1: Cleaning is the proper key to begin any task. We all know that! So, clean your furniture with some soapy water and cloth to remove dust and any sort of stain that can easily come off. After cleaning dry, the surface of your furniture and then proceed on to accomplishing the next step. However, don’t be using any sort of furniture cleaning wax. This may result in the wax component to not mix well with the chalk paint.
- STEP 2: Use the chip brush to paint your furniture. Now, we have been praising chalk paint since the beginning of this piece of reading, now you will know why. As you start painting with your chip brush you will notice that you don’t need to make an effort of being careful to get all your brush strokes in one and same direction. You will not need to be sweating out regarding the evenness of the coverage.
- STEP 3: Create the perfect distressed look using the sandpaper. To even out the painted surface of your furniture you will be needing to rub the surface using the sandpaper. The rougher sandpaper you have you will be able to create the perfect strokes in the furniture. The intensity of the rubbing of sandpaper depends completely upon you. However, if you accidentally go too far with sanding you can easily repaint the surface of your furniture without taking the stress.
- STEP 5: Clean of the mess that has been created. Dampen one of the shop towels that has been listed previously. Then thoroughly clean the surface of the furniture using the dampened towel so that you clean the dust or mess that has occurred because of sanding with the sandpaper.
- STEP 6: Applying wax. Unfortunately, like other normal paints do have sealers, chalk paint lacks sealer. Hence, to protect the color of the paint and to prevent dirt and debris from entering the finishing wax needs to be used to create a barrier. However, before you apply the paint you must make sure that the paint is dry.
For applying the wax, you will be needing to use a separate type of brush. The appearance of the brush is different from the regular painting brushes that you have used earlier. The tip of the wax application brush has a slightly rounded tip and are heavier in the handle and are a bit higher in cost.
Using the brush apply the wax onto the painted surface. But first, apply a small amount of the wax. In case you mistakenly apply access amount, wipe some off using the shop towel.
- Step 7: Let the wax dry after application and then you will now have old furniture looking as good as new. The drying period of the wax is 2 to 3 weeks. Till then avoid using the individual furniture that you have freshly mended.